This is an eating disorder, where an individual has an irrational fear of gaining weight and starves himself/herself or has faulty eating habits. This condition is common in adolescent girls who are very self-conscious about their appearance. They not only starve but also indulge in a lot of physical exercises and then resort to low calories. In advanced stages, it starts affecting vital organs.
• An exact cause has not been identified.
• Self-obsession or peer pressure
• Poor self-image, hormonal imbalance, and other psychological factors.
• Extreme weight loss, dry, skin, and hair loss
• Dull eyes, bloating of abdomen, swelling of hands and feet, and stomach upsets
• Weakness, depression and anemia, hormonal disturbance and irregular periods
• To lose weight, a proper diet plan by a qualified dietician is a must. Include protein in a diet.
• Consult a trained instructor for planning out an exercise regime.
• Undergo proper counseling. Develop confidence and self-esteem.
- Take an inch of ginger, rock salt, 2-3 black peppercorns, a pinch of asafoetida and grind it to a paste. Eat this on empty stomach for at least two weeks. This is an excellent remedy.
- Boil a cup of water with 2-3 cloves in it. Add half a teaspoon of lemon juice to this and drink this twice a day. This should be continued for at least a week. This increases your appetite. It is a simple and effective natural cure for anorexia.
- Eating about 2-3 fresh oranges daily increases appetite and is one of the simple home remedies for anorexia.
- One spoon lemon juice mixed with a spoonful of ginger juice with a pinch of rock salt/black salt increases appetite.
- An apple a day increases the appetite and also tones up the digestive system. It also provides some roughage for smooth digestion.
- Boil few pods of crushed garlic in water, cool and drink this soup daily. The garlic stimulates the secretion of digestive juices.
- Eating raw tomatoes and capsicum helps increase.