The kidney performs the important function of filtering impurities from the blood and eliminating wastes from the body in the form of urine and hence is one of the vital organs of our body. The kidneys also regulate the electrolyte levels in the body, a task that is vital for proper body functioning. Kidney stones can pose a serious problem impairing the kidney functions and obstructing the elimination of urine. The problem of kidney stones arises because of the crystallization of certain chemicals or minerals in the urine giving rise to different types of kidney stones like uric acid kidney stones or calcium stones. The location of the kidney stones is much more of a concern as compared to its size. If stones are present in the urinary tract the condition is referred to as urolithiasis, while the presence of stones in the kidneys is referred to as nephrolithiasis, and stones lodged in the ureter are referred to as ureterolithiasis. If the location of the stone causes a blockage or obstruction in urine flow, then it could be problematic. About ninety percent of all stones contain calcium as the chief constituent. More than half of these are mixtures of calcium, ammonium and magnesium, phosphates and carbonates, while the remaining contains oxalate.
- Lack of vitamin A and excessive intake of calcium
- Defective metabolism can cause kidney stones i.e. the urine may become concentrated due to heavy perspiration or insufficient consumption of water and other fluids. A sedentary lifestyle may aggravate the condition.
- Chills, fever accompanied by nausea and scanty urination.
- Severe pain in the abdomen, below the ribs, groin, and difficulty in passing urine.
- Change in urine color, from normal to reddish brown, red or pink is likely.
- Boil two tablespoons of horse gram powder (kulthi) in a glass of water to prepare a thick soup. Add a tablespoon of pomegranate seeds powder (sweet or sour) to it and simmer for a minute. Drink this twice a week to dissolve the stones.
- Eating watermelon daily is a safe diuretic that is beneficial for kidney stones. Watermelon has the highest concentration of water and is rich in potassium salts.
- Take a teaspoon of basil juice mixed with a teaspoon of honey for at least 6 to 8 months to strengthen the kidneys and to dissolve the kidney stones.
- Eating celery (ajmoda) regularly prevents the formations of kidney stones.
- Eating apples regularly help prevent the formation of kidney stones.
- Grapes too are rich in potassium and water content and act as diuretic. Eating grapes regularly is beneficial.
- Avoid acidic foods that may act as irritants like an alcoholic, beverages, alcohol, pickles, chilies, tomato, radish, cauliflower, beans, meat, white flour, protein-rich food like chickpea, soybean, and spicy food stuff.
- Take 100 g of French bean pods, remove the seeds, slice the pods and boil them in about two liters of water on low flame for an hour. Allow the water to cool and then strain it with a muslin cloth. Drink a glass of this even. two hours on the first day and then every 4 hours on the second and third day, then every six hours the next three days. Prepare fresh infusion daily.