The most embarrassing moment when you dressed up for a party or an interview and you find a cascade of white flakes on your dress. Dandruff is the flaking of skin from the scalp. It may lead to hair fall. It becomes troublesome when it gets infected. There are two types of dandruff, namely, dry dandruff and oily dandruff.
This scalp condition is caused by a fungus, Malassezia, which feeds on sebum and the dead skin cells which occur naturally due to the formation of new skin.
Symptoms of Dandruff
- Itching and irritation of the scalp and forehead
- Small boils on the scalp
- Flakes from scalp fall when combed
- Oily flakes stick on to the scalp
- Development of a toxic condition mainly due to incorrect eating habits, constipation, and a low vitality due to infectious diseases.
- Emotional tension or stress
- Exposure to cold and general exhaustion
- Using harsh and cheap shampoo
- Overuse of styling gel or hairspray
- Overexposure to hair and scalp to heat
- Fungal infection
Home Remedies for Dandruff
- For oily dandruff, apply lemon juice to the scalp and rinse it off after some time.
- Soak two tablespoons of fenugreek seeds overnight Next morning grind them to a fine paste. Apply it all over the scalp and leave it for half an hour, then wash hair with reetha or shikakai. This is a good remedy for dry dandruff.
- Boil fenugreek seeds and make a concentrated decoction, cool and apply with cotton swab all over the scalp, wash after an hour.
- Take Multani Mitti mixed with water and lemon juice to form a thick paste. Apply this paste all over scalp and leave it for half an hour. Later, wash it off with warm water. This removes dead scales and cleans the scalp.
- Boil grated beetroot in a cup of water, reduce the mixture to half. Cool and strain. Apply this to the scalp and leave it overnight. Practice this daily for a couple of months.
- Washing hair with green gram flour twice a week is another useful remedy.
- Fermented curd mixed with t a teaspoon lemon juice and half spoon turmeric, rubbed gently into the scalp for half an hour is very good for dandruff.
Ayurvedic oil treatment for Dandruff:
- Bhringraj Tel
- Neem Tel
- Triphaladya Tel
Ayurvedic treatment for Dandruff:
- Saptamrita Loha