Ayurveda has been known to treat innumerable ailments for centuries and continues to do so by its age old practice of balancing the various systems in our body through herbal treatments. One such unique herb is Brahmi which has often been regarded as a brain booster. Brahmi is a small succulent herb with numerous branches, rooting at the nodes, found at elevations from sea level to altitudes of 4400 feet. It grows naturally in wet soil, shallow water and marshes. It has small flowers that are light purple or white in color with not more than four or five petals. The whole plant including the flowers can be used for medicinal purposes. It has a bitter and sweet taste and is known to impart a cooling energy.
Brahmi is a therapeutic herb commonly used as a memory enhancer, aphrodisiac, and a health tonic. According to Dr. Akhilesh Sharma, Ayurvedic Expert, “Brahmi is excellent for improving your brain functions and strengthening your memory. It enhances the three aspects of memory which include long-term memory, short-term memory and the retaining capacity. Brahmi has a cooling property which keeps the mind calm and free of anxiety. It also promotes sound sleep.” Here are eight wonderful benefits of Brahmi and how it can help you achieve good health.
1. Brahmi reduces stress and anxiety as it decreases the levels of cortisol, which is known as the stress hormone. Brahmi counteracts the effects of stress by regulating hormones involved with the stress response.
2. Brahmi is known to help ease the symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease due to the presence of the amyloid compound in the neuron that is responsible for damaging the brain. The biochemical known as bacosides in Brahmi helps in re-building brain tissues by influencing the brain cells.
3. As suggested by Dr. Sharma, Brahmi helps in boosting your memory. It has a positive effect on the hippocampus part of the brain that is responsible for intelligence, concentration, and memory. Interestingly, the leaf of the Brahmi herb has a similar shape like that of the cerebellum – part of the brain which helps in controlling concentration and memory.
4. Brahmi is full of antioxidants that are essential for living a healthy life. Antioxidants help in removing free radicals that can further mutate into cancer cells.
5. Regular consumption of Brahmi helps in strengthening your immune system. A lot of nutrients along with antioxidant compounds help increase the response time of our immune system against various diseases and ailments.
6. Brahma can be a great remedy that provides relief from arthritis, gout and other inflammatory conditions. It also helps in soothing gastric ulcers and treating irritable bowel syndrome.
7. Brahmi is known for regulating the blood sugar levels in patients with diabetes and may help improve symptoms of hypoglycemia.
8. Beauty benefits of Brahmi: Brahmi oil is great for treating a dry scalp and preventing hair fall. The antioxidant components not only help in rejuvenating your scalp but also promote regeneration of healthy hair. These antioxidants also help in removing all the toxins from the body and enhance your skin complexion by stimulating cell regeneration. Brahmi is good for treating hair problems like dandruff, itchiness, and formation of split ends. Moreover, massaging the scalp with Brahmi oil is known to be very soothing.
Brahmi leaves (fresh or dey) can be used to make tea that helps calming you down and relieves anxiety and stress. There are Brahmi supplements available in the markets as pills or in powdered form, but it is advisable to take these supplements only after consulting a doctor or a health expert.
- Brahmi is a therapeutic herb commonly used as a memory enhancer.
- Brahmi has antioxidants that are essential for living a healthy life.
- Brahmi regulates the blood sugar levels in patients with diabetes.